Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fathers Day

It's August 7th today. I can't believe that I've only been here five days. I already feel like I'm settling in. School is so much fun that I don't even mind that we have to be there by seven in the morning. The school also reminds me a lot of ARTech/Arcadia, everyone knows everyone, and the teachers and the students have really good relationships. The teachers are both respected as an authority figure, but also as a peer.  Yesterday it was fathers day in Brazil, and the rotary club in Tangara had a party to celebrate. I had no idea what to expect, and it was a ton of fun! Everyone came and ate some really amazing food, then a few people gave speeches about their dads and why they are important to the club and to their families. Then all of the dads in the room were sent out back. I didn't understand what was happening until they all came out dressed like woman and started parading around the room. It was so funny (: Everyone was laughing and taking pictures or videos. I wish that I had my camera because my host dad looked so proud and so happy to be a dad. Up until then, I'd been so focused on experiencing and noticing what was different  between Brazil and the US, but seeing all of those smiling dads with proud families made me realize that the similarities can be just as important and interesting than the differences. It was a really great night. (: I've decided to try to post smaller posts more regularily, but bear with me, I accidentally must have packed procrastination.
With Love,
Olivia

(Happy Brazilian Fathers day dad, You would have looked ridiculous in the dresses that some of them squeezed into, I laugh just thinking about it.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds so wonderful, and you sound so happy. Keep posting these wonderful tidbits of life. Love you.

Olivia said...

I definitely will, Love you too (: