Saturday, August 17, 2013

Almost Two Weeks

Boa Noite,

I can't believe that I've been here almost two whole weeks. I can't believe I've only been here almost two weeks. It feels like I left Minnesota just yesterday, but also feels like I've been here for a long time because of how much I've seen and learned. The days seem to go by so slowly, but at night I can barely remember everything that I did. I can see why the people who have already gone on their exchange year, say that you have to make the most of everyday because your year goes by so fast. I'm sorry that I haven't posted any pictures, I feel really weird and touristy waking around with a camera in my hand. Don't worry though, I've decided that I would rather get weird looks, and have pictures to document my year, so I'll start posting them soon.

 School is still going great, and even though I have absolutely no idea what is going on during class, I have a ton of fun and I get to practice my Portuguese. The kids in my class are so understanding and funny, we spend half of our conversations laughing about something that was said wrong, or a story someone told. Everything with my host family is going wonderful as well, I am able to spend a lot of time with them, and it is a ton of fun! My host mom has been talking me along with her when ever she goes somewhere. To the store, to visit friends, I even got to go to a baby shower. My host dad wakes up at the same time as me an Henrique and makes us breakfast and sometimes homemade pineapple juice. Then he drives us to school. He always kisses the top of our heads before we get out of the car, and then again when he picks us up again after school.

Last night I went out with Henrique and a bunch of our friends from school. We went to a Pasteleria, where we ate these huge pastries that are deep fried dough with different types of fillings inside, I had chicken and bacon, it was so good! Then we walked to one of the guys houses and sat outside talking for almost two hours. Me and Henrique had to walk about 20 blocks home though, which I enjoyed a little bit because a city always looks different when you are walking, then when you are driving. Today we went to a farm to see my host mom's friends new baby. She was so tiny and cute. We just spent the whole time watching her sleep and playing with her little toes. My host mom really loves children and babies, she is going to take me with her when she goes to play with all of the kids at the local Children's Home. That is where she adopted my host sister and brother from, I am so excited to play with all of the kids! She said there is a new baby there that we can see as well.

The drive out to the farm was really the first time that I had been out of the city since driving in from Cuiaba. I had forgot how amazingly gorgeous it is out in the country. The soil ranges from a deep brown to burgundy, bright red, orange, and then light brown pinks. It is so beautiful. There are beautiful long grasses growing everywhere, and then tree's scattered in the fields. There are hills in the distance, and the sky is a really deep blue. In the city almost everyone drives a motorcycle/bike (moto) they are everywhere! Yesterday I saw a man driving, and a woman on the back holding a little baby. Unlike the U.S. everyone wears a helmet, I don't think that I've seen a person without one yet. This evening, my family took me to the Saturday night market for dinner, I had a different type of pastel filled with hamburger, and sugarcane juice. Later we are planning on going dancing, around 11:00. Everyone except me is taking a nap right now before we go, I am really excited to see what kind of dancing it is!

I'll post soon,

Tciao,
Olivia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your description of the countryside made me feel as though I were right there with you -- beautiful! Mom